For your convenience, here is a list of all local resources for breastfeeding mothers. If you would like to print out a handout, you can do so here.
1. Lafayette General – offers 1 free lactation consult in the week after discharge if you delivered at LGMC. By appointment only 337-289-7227.
a. Telephone Help Warm Line - 289-7227 M-F 8:30-4:30
b. Pump Rentals are available through the Hospital Gift shop on the first floor.
You may call 337-289-7194 for more information.
Hours of operation are: Mon.- Fri. 7:00 am – 8:00 pm, Sat. & Sun 9:00 am – 7:00 p
2. La Leche League – La Leche League is a non-profit, non-sectarian organization dedicated to providing information, support, encouragement and education to women who want to breastfeed.
• They meet the 3rd Thursday of every month at 10 a.m. at the Faith Lutheran Church located at 104 Rue Fontaine.
• Children are welcomed.
• For more information contact
o Melissa 288-2783 (leave message)
o Naomi 813-943-6550
3. WIC – Local WIC Clinics have breastfeeding peer counselors available to answer questions and offer breastfeeding support for current WIC recipients. Contact your local health unit for more information.
4. The Infant Risk Center – Need to take medication but not sure if it’s safe while breastfeeding?
The IRC provides up to date information on the use of medications used during breastfeeding.
Monday thru Friday 8am-5pm 806-352-2519
5. ZipMilk – www.zipmilk.org provides a listing of breastfeeding support people in your zip code
6. Partners for Healthy Babies – www.1800251baby.org Phone number is 1-800-251-BABY(2229)
7. Acadiana Breastfeeding Coalition- www.acadianabreastfeeding.org ABC's mission is to promote, protect, and support breastfeeding in Acadiana through community awareness events.
Recommended Books and Websites
• Breastfeeding Made Simple by Nancy Mohrbacher, Kathleen Kendall-Tackett and Jack Newman
• The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding 8th Edition by Diane Wiessinger, Diana West and Teresa Pitman
• The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers by Jack Newman and Teresa Pitman