To be admitted to the UL Lafayette Department of Nursing undergraduate program, you must meet the minimum requirements for all undergraduate students. Learn more about the admission requirements.
Minimum Continuing Requirements
Each student in the BSN Program in Nursing is required to:
- Attain a minimum grade of "C" in each prescribed course or major nursing focus in the nursing curriculum and a grade of "Satisfactory" in each nursing laboratory course or clinical component.
- Achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.800 for progression into 200 level nursing courses and the junior year.
- In the junior and senior years maintain a 2.00 GPA or higher for graduation.
- Adhere to policies prescribed by each clinical agency when involved in clinical nursing experiences at that agency. The institution’s policy may require random drug screening and/or drug screening for cause.
- A Level I background investigation is required for all nursing students prior to admission to Nursing 208. For students who are licensed or if a certified caregiver, a Level II background investigation is required in lieu of Level I for admission to Nursing 208.
- Clearance by the Louisiana State Board of Nursing to enroll in a clinical nursing course after ANY incidence of disciplinary action, arrest or impairment in ANY state.
- Assume responsibility to stay informed of curriculum and departmental policy changes if planning to be inactive for one or more consecutive semesters.
Progression to Sophomore Nursing Course 208
Criteria for admission:
- Completion of a minimum of 45 semester hours, including all science courses, excluding Biology 261, from the freshman and sophomore years of the curriculum with a minimum grade of “C” in each course, and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.800. Biology 261 must be taken as a prerequisite or corequisite course to Nursing 208.
- Receipt of application in the Nursing Director of Student Services’ Office by November 1 or April 1 for entry into nursing courses the following semester.
Progression to Junior Nursing Courses
A minimum grade of "C" in all prescribed freshman and sophomore courses and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.800.